Saturday, February 24, 2007

Our Theme, Finally!

I was surfing the net last night trying to come up with the theme of my wedding that would tie together all of the different things that I like which I've seen on magazines.

One of the first things that I had cut out from a magazine was this cake by Penk Ching with pearl decorations. Then I found this beautiful flowergirl's bouquet that had a pearl handle. These gave me the idea of having a pearl theme.

But, I also fell in love with the colors plum and lime green when I saw the color combination. I had no idea how to incorporate pearls with those colors. I had initially thought of doing a Mardi Gras theme, but it just wasn't me. A Princess/Cinderella them could have easily incorporated the pearls, but not the colors I wanted. I had also thought of a Medieval or Victorian theme, but again it was just not me.

I had thought long ago of having a Grecian theme, since I knew that pearls symbolize the tears of joy of Aphrodite. But I just couldn't connect everything that I wanted. So last night, while I was reading on Aphrodite, inspiration struck! Aphrodite is the goddess of love (as in Eros)...and thats where the term aphrodisiac came from. So I thought, why not have a Grecian theme focusing on Aphrodite? We can serve all kinds of aphrodisiacs like chocolates and wine. Then for my entourage, the dresses will be Grecian-style...I could still use the color plum, and use gold instead of the lime green. All the bouquets and centerpieces will be accented by pearls, and the giveaways will of course be pearls!

A good friend told me that not everyone will "get" my theme...but that's okay. The grecian style will just be very subtle...perhaps only me, Danz, my coordinator and my designer (and everyone else I explain it to) will know about it. And that's fine with me because I just really want to have this one idea to set the mood for the whole wedding.

No comments: