Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What Kind of Accountant Doesn't Know How to Budget?

Apparently, it's an Accountant that's about to get married.

Once Danz and I had established that we wanted a relatively small wedding (not more than 200 guests), we started to work on our budget. Initially, Danz had asked if P500k would be enough, and I told him that it was too much. I thought we could fit everything into P300k.

Fast forward to today....we've long been over the P300k mark! I'm normally pretty good at sticking to a budget, but with regard to our wedding, our financials are out of control! It doesn't help that when I consult Danz or ask him whether we should get a certain supplier or not, he would always say its ok even though its over the budget (I guess maybe it's because he doesn't want me to have a hard time). Another thing is that I'm not good at haggling with suppliers - partially because I don't agree that its a good thing to do to people who will play a huge part in making the wedding a success. Oftentimes, I am upfront with the suppliers regarding our budget, and we just work around it. But we sometimes end up going over nonetheless.

There are days when I sit and stare at our budget worksheet and try to figure out a way to minimize our expenses. But no matter what I do, we are still hopelessly over budget!

No comments: